27 March 2013

Flickering

A flick of the switch. Picture on. I press record too soon, and my squeaky, "Action," is registered for cringe-inducing posterity.

Today I dove into production with four hours of sleep, nothing but a feverishly scrawled shot list keeping me tethered to the ground. Chaos loomed constantly, from the sudden gaggle of willing background actors to pushing the door of an abandoned building and finding it unlocked. But now that we've gotten the ball rolling on filming, I feel like I've found the rhythm again.

There's a certain casualness to this project. The barest of bones. In some respect, it's exciting to push the boundary of minimalism, to see how little you can get away with. It's also terrifying to freefall.

I'm reminded of Jane Eyre (2011), especially the brief moments shot during the setup of other scenes. Filler moments breathe life into a fictional world. It's only the first day of our project, but so far it feels as though it is composed entirely of these stolen, impromptu vignettes. A wisp of hope returns and pushes the cynicism from my lungs. Maybe this will work.

Photos via I Capture the Period Pieces

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment