30 October 2013

Les Vacances

In high school, my French teacher once chided me for putting "ma vacance" on my fake vacation diary (what happens to the alternate lives we've lived in our language classes?). I remember thinking, "les vacances" while I was working on it, and then reconsidering it and feeling really proud of myself for changing it to something logical. Because one has a vacation, right? Apparently not - vacations are eternally plural in French.

Well my very much singular fall break is halfway over, but my travels have yet to begin. Frantic last-minute planning fell through, so I've contented myself with enjoying the rare rays of sunshine that have been gracing the city. It's hard to imagine that in a few days (weeks if we're lucky) the unbearable cold will descend upon us and bring the rain and snow and hail and other weapons of mass precipitation.
Yeah, it's been the type of break where you photograph a baguette from numerous angles, the type of break that's a taste of retirement. But it's not over yet; there's still time to see something new. Tomorrow I'm going to Nancy and then Strasbourg to discover a bit of France outside of Paris.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment