10 March 2014

Patisserie Discoverie | Dôme aux biscuits roses

When in France...all anyone ever brings up is the food! Soon I'll have to leave all the deliciousness behind, but before I do, I'm going to stuff my face with as many different patisseries as I can from the local boulangerie in the name of cultural education.
Voilà, the "dome of pink biscuits." Sometimes you regret translating French, because all the fanciness evaporates and you end up feeling like you're about to eat a bald Candyland character.

Aside from champagne and the cathedral that never stops giving, Reims is famous for its biscuits roses. Depending on who you ask, they are either a charming regional specialty or compressed drywall.

So this is a...thing...made of biscuits roses. I will get better at describing food. For now I just start salivating and lose all linguistic faculty. Because between speaking and eating, I'd rather use my mouth for the latter.

Besides, the photos will tell you all you need to know...I mean, imagine if Proust had an Instagram.
Madeleines! #tasteslikechildhood #socrumbly #nom
And just like that, hundreds of French literature students would have the time to invent life-changing technologies or something. Imagine the progress! ...Do you ever think about how much we could get done if we stopped rewarding loquaciousness in academia?

Anyway, I was curious about what was inside. The outer shell is made of a gloopy pink gel that made me question its edibility. I accidentally touched the pastry several times taking it out of the box, but the gloop would just congeal and return to form. This patisserie is self-healing, guys. Plastic surgeons, look into this.

Was it gelatin? Was it cake? Was it a house of worship for fairies? 
One of the above. It's basically a spongy pink cake layered on a paper-thin biscuit rose crust, with a vanilla bean pudding on top. There are raspberries scattered throughout, as well as pockets of raspberry syrup. Finally, the whole thing is covered in a thick pink glaze and garnished with a raspberry and a piece of the famous biscuit. 

Despite the lack of praying fairies inside, I enjoyed it. I really liked the biscuit rose crust, which added a bit of crunch to each bite, as well as the pudding's strong vanilla flavor. Word of warning: it's quite sweet. As for the raspberries, well fruit already freaks me out a little and I don't know if you've noticed, but raspberries are hairy, so...I ate them but let's not talk too much about it.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment