08 March 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel

I went to see The Grand Budapest Hotel last night with friends, and I liked it a lot. After a hellish week, a good movie is a necessary palate cleanser.

Ralph Fiennes' performance as M. Gustave was the highlight of the film - he really carried it and smoothed over the rough patches. And while the frame story with the author rang a bit wooden and did not completely capture my attention, I loved the opening of the core plot itself, especially the interaction between M. Gustave and Madame D.
I always enjoy Wes Anderson's work for their contained and detailed universes, as well as his impeccable sense of comic timing, but he does employ a certain affectation that constantly jolts me out of the movie's universe. While you enjoy what unfolds before you, you are acutely aware that you are watching a film.

In the end, however, who is to say an affected style is wrong? But my thoughts on film criticism and analysis are for another day. For now, I'm content because a good movie with friends was the perfect end to a relaxed and productive day.
In any case, the process behind a film is infinitely more interesting than trading opinions, so:
And check out the amazing website and tumblr - people have been getting really inventive with online marketing.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment