21 April 2013

Prodigal Sun

After the frenzy of a paper due at noon, I was blissfully free on Friday and whiled the afternoon away at the park. The sun is finally back in full force after a long and evil winter (never thought I'd say I am glad to be a waterfall of sweat again) and the birds are singing - I missed birdsong more than I thought. 
But it also means the creepy crawlies and wiggly wormy things are back too. I've been seeing these huge black buzzing insects on my walk to school and assuming they were scarab beetles like the ones back home - terrifying, but ultimately harmless. It wasn't until the day at the park that I realized with growing horror that French bees are the size of your thumb. 
I spotted one gathering daisy pollen and wanted to take a photo of it, so I said (to the general vicinity, mostly, because who talks to bees?), "Come closer, bee!" Again, to my horror, it meandered over towards me, lingering near my back, then my foot, and then under my legs...and then it savored a few minutes near my friend, who, like a sensible person, froze in terror and self-defense (some of us, on the other hand, prefer flailing). This is when I realized...I had summoned the bee. No more schooling for me. No more worrying in my room, weighing the law in one hand and cinema in the other like Lady Justice. My destiny has made itself clear: I am a bee whisperer. 
This all happened before I saw the squirrel. I jumped up and went to stalk it in hopes of getting a good photo. Returning to the sunny spot where I had been reading before all of this nature stuff started happening (In a park? What a surprise!), I noticed that we had been sitting in the middle of a perfect ring of sticks, convenient for summoning all sorts of dark creatures.
New (and logical) conclusion: I am a Disney princess.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment