09 April 2012

Adventure Pack

Every morning is like setting out on an expedition. Once I leave the house, that's it - I'm stranded until evening. I have a lot of free time between classes, and like a petulant child I demand constant amusement. Thank god for sturdy canvas backpacks and free wi-fi.
A purple scarf to keep the morning cold away,
A bottle of dependably refreshing water,
Earphones for when neighboring conversations grow annoying,
A laptop as my virtual refuge,
A worn journal stuffed with captured thoughts,
Glasses to recognize the approaching figure saying hello,
A thin but well-written book for precious moments just before class,
Rose balm for when anxiety destroys my lips,
Cookies for resisting the siren aromas of the food court,
And a phone to warn my family -  I'm heading home.

I'm sure what a person carries daily speaks of the person themselves, whether their character or situation. During graduation, our class advisor read excerpts from student pieces on the contents of their backpacks based on Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. In retrospect, it was quite fitting.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment